Item of the Week – September 13, 2013
Our Item of the Week comes from the Virginia Meadows Collection, which was recently donated to the Greenbrier Historical Society’s Archives and Library. It is a photograph of students in front of the Rainelle High School circa 1956. Can anyone identify any of the individuals in the photo?
Item of the Week: August 30, 2013
This historic photograph from the Greenbrier Historical Society’s Archives depicts downtown Lewisburg, circa 1920. The photographer is facing North at the intersection of Court and Randolph Streets. The Greenbrier County Courthouse is on the right and the Old Lewisburg Hotel is on the left. It is believed that the Lewisburg Hotel was first operated by George D. Farr of Washington, DC around 1910. It had several owners over the years. In 1950, the name was even changed to “Wright’s Inn” when it was purchased by Oscar V. Wright and his wife Walone Elizabeth Wright. Today, the building is home to the Paul S. Detch Law Office.
Note the dirt road, telephone poles, and early automobiles. You can even see an example of 1920s fashion on the women walking in front of the Courthouse.
ITEM OF THE WEEK – This ledger, donated to GHS this week, is from the Clintonville General Store. It was used to record the transactions made between 1866 and 1868. As historians, we love that the writing is so legible!
Item of the Week – July 12, 2013
Photograph of the Lewisburg Motor Company circa 1930’s. The garage was located in downtown Lewisburg. Pictured are Lynn Anderson, Jack Wicklin, Floyd Walton, H.D. Knapp, and Bob Jefferies.