This mail wagon was one of the first Rural Free Delivery Mail Carriers in the United States, originally from Charles Town in Jefferson County, West Virginia. The RFD was started in 1891 as an experimental program in Jefferson County. In 1896, RFD became an official service under President Grover Cleveland. Within a few years, Rural Free Delivery served much of West Virginia and the rest of the country – becoming widespread by 1902.
The RFD wagon is on permanent display at the Greenbrier Historical Society’s North House Museum in Lewisburg, West Virginia.