Item of the Week – Rainelle High School

rainelle012

Item of the Week – September 13, 2013

Our Item of the Week comes from the Virginia Meadows Collection, which was recently donated to the Greenbrier Historical Society’s Archives and Library. It is a photograph of students in front of the Rainelle High School circa 1956. Can anyone identify any of the individuals in the photo?

Advertisements

GHS Receives Virginia Meadows Collection

R-L: GHS Director Beth McMullen, George Collins, Mrs. Virginia Meadows, GHS Archivist Jim Talbert

The Greenbrier Historical Society was very excited to receive a wonderful collection of photographs this past spring from Mrs. Virginia Meadows and the Rainelle Ranger Alumni Committee. This collection, a much appreciated addition to the Greenbrier Historical Society’s Archives and Library, includes photographs of the Rainelle High School,  the Meadow River Lumber Company, and the Town of Rainelle.

A native of Greenbrier County, Mrs. Meadows taught Math and Physical Education and was the advisor to the Hi-Y, Cheerleading, and Intramural programs at Rainelle High School beginning in 1961.  In 1992, the Rainelle Ranger Alumni Committee organized the first all-school reunion of Rainelle High School. Mrs. Meadows was very involved with the Alumni Committee, actively collecting and copying photographs and memorabilia for commemorative booklets and displays. It is through her hard work and generosity that the collection has been donated to us.

George “Tink” Collins (Rainelle Class of 1964) was instrumental in organizing the collection and labeling all of the photographs before they were given to GHS. Mr. Collins is currently the Director of Museum Studies at Tusculum College in Greeneville, Tennessee.

To view the Virginia Meadow’s Collection, visit the Greenbrier Historical Society’s Archives and Library, located at 301 West Washington Street in Lewisburg, WV. GHS is open to the public free of charge, Monday through Saturday from 10am to 4pm or by appointment. For more information, contact us at 304.645.3398 or archives@greenbrierhistorical.org.